The reason advanced for the heartless murder was widely viewed as flimsy and lacking in merit.32-year-old man accused of allegedly abducting and murdering a 2-year-old Philippi boy three weeks ago, abandoned his bail application in the Wynberg Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday.
Mzimhle Jikwana, also known as “Mzi”, stands accused of abducting Oyingcwele Zohuta from his mother’s house in Philippi East at the end of last month.
The child was missing for four days before Jikwana pointed out his shallow grave in Nyanga, to the police.
Oyingcwele Zohuta, 2, was abducted, and later murdered.
He was arrested and made his first court appearance earlier this month.
According to family, Jikwana was the boyfriend of the toddler’s aunt.
He is believed to have reacted to his partner’s decision to end their relationship, by abducting the toddler.
Family member Anita Magigi said: “The child was at home where he lives with his mother when the aunt came to visit.
“She and the accused, her boyfriend, had a disagreement which led to her telling him that she wanted to end the relationship.
“The accused took revenge on the aunt by taking the child,” Magigi said.
Cosatu, various organisations and political parties – including the EFF, the ANC and the SACP – attended the proceedings yesterday.
A petition, drawn up to oppose bail and signed by more than 200 residents of the community, was handed to the investigating officer.
The accused consulted with his Legal Aid attorney who informed the court that he would abandon his bail application.
Magistrate Goolam Bawa postponed the case and remanded the accused until January 19.