The Motsepe family has pledged R1 billion towards the fight against coronavirus, in partnership with companies and organisations they are associated with, the family said on Saturday.
The donation was announced in a briefing via Zoom.
Several hundred million rands would immediately be made available, billionaire Patrice Motsepe said.
In a prepared statement, Dr Precious Moloi-Motsepe said the family had been in contact with government, health workers and other stakeholders to identify specific projects and needs with the “primary objective of saving lives” and slowing the spread of the virus. This would include the purchase of sanitisers and the purchase of personal protective equipment (PPEs).
Access to water is also crucial, she noted, so a portion of the donation would go towards the purchase of water tanks and borehole drilling, as well as building sanitary facilities.
Classrooms, computer centres and laboratories would also be built in all nine provinces.
Saying the outbreak was a “grave” challenge and there was “very serious and important work” to be done, Motsepe said he was confident that the country would overcome the difficult time ahead.